The Theme Music for a Show that Hasn’t Been Made

This is something that I’ve been working on for the past couple of weeks and I’m really excited to share it. I mentioned on my “About Me” page that I like arranging music. Normally I like to write arrangements using existing music, but on rare occasions I’ll compose original stuff. Recently I woke up with a couple of interesting jazz sounds going around in my head and I started composing the piece below. It wasn’t until I finished, though, that I realized that it sounds sort of like the theme music for a not-too-serious crime drama.

If you want, take a moment to listen to it. Go ahead–I’ll wait.

Doesn’t it? I was thinking the first 35 seconds might play over the opening titles and then the rest would play over the end credits. Admittedly, this mental association could be due in part to the fact that I’ve had the premise for a crime drama knocking around in my head for the past couple of days.

Let the record show that I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and I am fully aware that writers do not control the theme music in their shows. But for people who like to think in terms of music (this doesn’t necessarily include me as a rule), writing some experimental theme music for a writing project could potentially be helpful in expressing the central tone of the piece. I know I’m looking forward to writing my crime drama a lot more after hearing this music.

Are there any musical people reading this? Let me know what you think of this idea.

4 thoughts on “The Theme Music for a Show that Hasn’t Been Made

1. I LOVE that you are really diving into every aspect of series/show making and I love that you are sharing it with us! What inspires you when you write a new script or theme song?

• I can’t stress enough that inspiration can come from anywhere. Characters, situations, and themes can all be jumping-off points for me when I go to write a script. Music is a little different, though. For original work such as this, it almost always starts as just a small bit of music running through my head when I’m half-asleep. I’ve learned to write these fleeting tunes down because otherwise they’re gone again by the time I’m fully awake. When I arrange existing music it’s because I want to hear it with a specific instrumentation or because I think of two tunes that might go well together.
      Thank you very much for your enthusiasm! I’m hoping to experiment more in the near future with posts on the creative process in general and the writing process specifically.

2. Bill Cosby used to do a bit about growing up and he said that everyone would come up with a music theme that they would ‘play’ in their heads. They would use the music ‘playing’ in their heads to get through scary situations.

• Really? Sometimes when I wake up from a nightmare I play church music in my head to help me calm down. Actually, I can hear music in my head most of the time, but it’s usually not stuff that I made up.